Thursday, March 29, 2012

Plum Crazy



March had turned out to be a crazy month even for the Pacific Northwest.  This is soon to be the wettest March on record.  For anyone who is familiar with the book "The Illustrated Man"  there is a story about a man who lives on a planet where it always rains.  It rains so much that they have these special pods to take shelter from the constant onslaught of rain.  When the weather gets like this, dark and wet day after day, I think of that story and wonder what it would be like if it never stopped....  Of course, this isn't some distant planet and sooner or later it will stop and the grass will finally pop out and everything will look green again.  In the meantime, it's enough to drive this light starved lady crazy.  But as you know, there is always a silver lining and I have to admit all this moisture is a good thing to make up for our lack of snow in the valleys this winter.  I think about the folks in Colorado, battling unseasonable dry winds and wildfires.  All of a sudden, all this moisture doesn't seem quite so bad.  However, I'd love to be able to package some of it up and send it out, special delivery for the folks who need it so badly.

To pacify myself, I have been spinning some hand painted superwash Merino that I dyed last fall.  This is the last of the superwash that I had dyed - ready to spin into sock yarn.  I love watching the different plum colors flow through my fingers.  But the real happy surprise is how it looks when I finally get it plied into it's final yarn.  How the colors twist into something else is always such a wonderful adventure.


Now - if that elusive sun would just come and visit - a few hours would be appreciated.  Just long enough to slog to the barn and feed without getting soaked to the skin and long enough to haul the pots in from the shed so I can get them washed and ready to start seeds this weekend. But at this writing, the rain is a steady stream pelting the roof making me want to cocoon into my chair with a down throw and a nice book.  But this gal has sewing deadlines to meet so it will have to wait for later.  In the meantime....it's driving me plum crazy!!

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those Colorado Gals who would gladly take your rain away - the sun and wind mean different things here and I know each of us are battling with Mother Natures excesses. I love the yarn - amazing!!! Stay strong Dear One soon you will be wishing for rain.

    ReplyDelete